DEM Height Adjustment

Forum for ideas and new feature requests.
OldVern
It is well known that MSTS cannot properly display terrain over about 10,000 feet (3500 metres) above sea level either in it's editor or the sim - the world just turns white as if you are above the clouds! At the moment the workaround is a relatively complex set of stages to lower the DEM and get it into a format that can be read by DEMEX in order to put the adjusted terrain into the route. Route Riter also supposedly had a feature to lower the absolute height of a route, but I could never get that to work.

There are many rail lines in the high places of the world that run above 10,000 feet - notably South America, western China and the new(ish) line to Tibet.

Would be great if such a feature could be built into TSRE so, with a couple of mouse clicks, the whole route could be lowered by 1500 or 2000 metres, so a summit at 4000m then becomes 2500 or 2000 metres and viewable in the sim.

Kapitaen13
The complete Route Freiburg was raised by me by 197.766 meters with TSUtil.
That worked perfectly.

Code: Select all

java -Xmx256m TSUtil -le:\_adjh.log adjh "H:\Train Simulator\Routes\Freiburg" 197.766
Route:
https://forum.german-railroads.de/index ... dataID=691

Original:
https://www.amazon.de/Train-Simulator-D ... B00008V3FD

OldVern
Very strange, then as I could never get TSUtil to work - having to use VT Builder - 3Dem - DEMEX to get the desired result.

OldVern
Actually I did find a function in DEMEX to offset the vertical height which circumvents going through VT Builder.

Playing around a bit with Distant Mountains (in DEMEX) I notice these will display while working in TSRE. Neat feature as it allows you to see where the gaps/tearing are between the hi-res terrain and the lo-res tiles. All I need to do is work out how to drop the DM height 20 or 30 metres - again something that could be a useful feature in TSRE (eventually).