Terrain Painting Caused Route To Fail In RE

Use this forum if you found a bug.
OldVern
I decided to try out the terrain painting feature and was very impressed with the results.

However when I tried to subsequently load the route back into MSTS RE to do some road placement, I received error messages that it couldn't load two of the custom ace files TSRE had created. I clicked Yes to continue and the route loaded with only a great white void where the default terrain.ace should be, then CTD a short time after.

I tried restoring the painted tiles to default terrain.ace in TSRE (where the route still loaded) but MSTS continued to fall over with the same error - route is trashed.

Now having to resort to a backup and hope I haven't lost too much work, mainly renaming all those Russian Cyrillic tree descriptions in the ref file, so Route Riter doesn't fall over compacting it later on. For the time being, looks like it's back to the tedium of creating quarter and half terrtex tiles in the paint program and making do with those.

Archimage
OldVern wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 17:15 I decided to try out the terrain painting feature and was very impressed with the results.

However when I tried to subsequently load the route back into MSTS RE to do some road placement, I received error messages that it couldn't load two of the custom ace files TSRE had created. I clicked Yes to continue and the route loaded with only a great white void where the default terrain.ace should be, then CTD a short time after.

I tried restoring the painted tiles to default terrain.ace in TSRE (where the route still loaded) but MSTS continued to fall over with the same error - route is trashed.

Now having to resort to a backup and hope I haven't lost too much work, mainly renaming all those Russian Cyrillic tree descriptions in the ref file, so Route Riter doesn't fall over compacting it later on. For the time being, looks like it's back to the tedium of creating quarter and half terrtex tiles in the paint program and making do with those.
Think it may be a bug, and not the only one in the last version. But do not delete what you have done - maybe the author will fix the bug soon. Buy why not to do road placement in TSRE? Its much better and stable. MSRE can ruin the database cause of many old bugs (for example the trashed vector if you place a short piece of the road on the border of the tiles in MSRE).
P.S.: Guy you dont need to work on ref file again! Its not connected to the exact database so just copy the ref from the trashed route to the backup route.

Goku
Site Admin
I answered already on TS.
Check for broken textures.
You can also send me broken route for checking the bug.

OldVern
[...]Also how to explain the whiteout across the route and that this still occurred after I replaced *all* the custom textures, including my own, with the default terrain ace - MSTS RE was still reading the corrupt ones as being present. Not sure where the terrain texturing data is stored - possibly in the "w" file, then I'm not that technically minded, I just want to build routes[...]

Goku
Site Admin
Even if you replace broken texture, the shader data is still stored in .t file. MSTS tries to load all shaders, even if they are not used by any patch. If it fails with one, whole tile is disabled.
TSRE can sometimes write a broken texture. Are you using TSRE 0.6972? Some bugs regarding it were fixed in new version.

Sorry about your post. I used edit option instead of quote and don't know how to fix it.

OldVern
No problems Goku. I will update to latest version, try again and report back! (In a day or two).

OldVern
Good news is, I've done a bit of painting in 697 this morning and (so far) the route has loaded okay in MSTS RE.

Only slight issue to report (maybe user error) is that the painted texture seems to be at a lower resolution than the parent tile?

Goku
Site Admin
TSRE uses 512x512 texture for painting.

OldVern
That would explain it, the as some of the textures were derived from 256 x 256 images.

One to note for future reference. I did have permission off one of the guys who did some rather nice textures for Trainz to convert them for use in MSTS so I'll have to check what size they are and increase or reduce as necessary before doing the ace conversion.