Using different maps

Use this forum if you need help using TSRE.
Garry
I am starting a route where the track was closed in the 1960s. I can use TSRE to show the present day map for the area, but the track is not shown.
I have found online a map from the late 1800s showing the area.

https://www.archiuk.com/cgi-bin/build_n ... co10%209ln

I have tried to make an image file from this to use in TSRE but getting the correct position and alignment is difficult.
Does anyone have an idea of how to do this?

Garry

eolesen
Going back about 15 years what I'd do was:

1) add the image into Google Earth as an overlay
2) set the opacity of the overlay low enough to be able to see both the base map and the image
3) stretch and position the overlay as needed to get major landmarks and existing roads to align with old features
4) create a KML file with markers (pushpins) set every 50m along the old alignment

I used archived geological survey maps to map out several old lines this way. Haven't needed to do it in TSRE, but it's easy enough to load a KML set for markers. The trouble lies in creating the markers.

Garry
Thanks for the help. I have never created an overlay before.
So I now use this to stick pins in along the route, to create markers for use in TSRE.

I have found that if I load the Google Earth image rather than the current map image, I can follow the route fairly well. But it is good to have a back up when the trackbed has totally disappeared.

Garry